Forums General Topics All Grain Brewing BM 20l & WW

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    griffin
    Participant

Hello All,

I have been really enjoying brewing with the WW. I am considering buying a braumeister 20l as a companion to the WW. Before I make the purchase, I was hoping to get some feedback from some people that have experience using both machines together.

1. Based on other posts here, there seems to be a concern with the amount of sediment. I have been using a hop spider and bazooka filter. This has minimized my extract sediment when using a lot of hops. Do you feel that the WW can handle the trub from all grain brewing? I know it may take more than 2 clarifications but I am fine with that.

2. I know the bm is a 20 l system but holds more wort than 20l. Are you able to get 23l of clean wort in the WW?

3. I have been using WW Kits with hop and specialty grain additions. I have also used several kits from Northern brewer. All batches have come out real well. Have you noticed a big difference in beer quality using the BM or any all grain system? I know extract got a bad name with decades of poor quality kits and old ingredients. With these new kits, there are so many styles to choose from.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you may provide.

Brian

mooncat
    Participant

Hi there
    I’ve been brewing for a year with the WW and bought a 20lt Braumeister to accompany it. I’ve only done two brews on the Braumeister so this is not definitive.
    I also read a lot about dealing with trub and read Woodys post on this and other forums (fora?)about his issues. I had a masterclass from Swiggingpig who brought over his Braumeister for me to look at and pick up tips.
    My first brew in the Braumeister I thought was a disaster as I had a great deal of strange looking trub in the bottom of the Braumeister and worried about carrying it over into the WilliamsWarn. Turned out to be using a whole whirflock tablet rather than half a tablet. The point is that I ran the wort through a filter into the WilliamsWarn though didn’t get much trub caught in it and worried about how much was going to be in the sediment bottle. However I had only about a 1/4 of it in the sediment bottle and it wasn’t a problem.
    Next brew was much better. I used 1/2 a Whirflock tablet, let the wort sit for an hour after cooling and dropped a very clear wort into the WilliamsWarn. The sediment bottle had less than 1/4 inch of trub in the bottom underneath the settled yeast
    In terms of taste and quality I have been impressed with WilliamsWarn kits but shipping from New Zealand made them expensive, I’m in the UK . Other kits I have found very variable from excellent brews to mediocre and some having a slight homebrew ‘tang’ I also caught the brewing bug so wanted to go all grain but without a great deal of equipment taking up space. I think the two machines are made for each other and make brewing easy and satisfying.
    In terms of quantity of wort it is a straightforward process to arrive at 23 litres into the WilliamsWarn and I use software to work out quantities and amounts.
    Overall I have had a year making great beers with the WilliamsWarn and impressing everyone who has drunk them. The Braumeister so far has enabled me to lift the quality even higher and for me to have complete control over the whole process.

wobbly
    Participant

Hi Griffin

I have a 20lt BM/WW combination and generally find that they are a good match.
    Initially I had a few issues with the amount of trub being carried over into the WW but most of these were/are associated with some poor/less than desirable practises that had crept into my brew day and didn’t show up as an issue of concern in a plastic fermenter as the trub how ever much there was just settled out on the bottom of the fermenter where as in the WW it had to be contained within a small volume sediment bottle. I believe by paying attention to my brew day practices this issue has now been mostly overcome and you can view how I went about this in the following post topic (Pages 2 an 3)
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53#p152
    In discussions with my LHBS owner who also has a WW and another I correspond with from time to time in South Australia you are unlikely to restrict your clarification/sediment collection to two empties of the sediment bottle.

What a number of other WW/BM owners do is chill the wort to around 20/25C transfer the wort from the BM to the WW apply a couple of PSI of CO2 pressure to form a blanket on the wort and turn the WW on set to around 20C and leave it sit for around 1 hour which will allow a very large percentage of suspended trub drop out into the sediment bottle. Depressurize and empty the sediment bottle and proceed to add the yeast as per the manual.
    To compensate for loss of finished beer resulting from the additional sediment removals I have found that I can transfer 25/26litres (max) into the WW and then end up with my 23lt of finished beer after say three empties of the sediment bottle but only if you are using a non aggressive yeast. If you were to use a yeast that produces a large krausen you may need to temper how much you transferred to the WW so at to prevent yeast foam coming out of the VPRV
    You will also note that I have purchased a Blichmann Hop Rocket to use as a filter and have only used this twice to date with one of those instances being the last brew that I tipped out. So the jury is still out on the success or failure of this additional piece of brew day equipment

Brewing with my WW isn’t out of the woods totally as yet because while I have resolved to a large extent the trub issues I still have an “off taste issue” to resolve and there is another post topic on the forum detailing my issue and a similar issue being experienced by another WW owner in Sydney.

Trust this is of assistance

Cheers

Wobbly

griffin
    Participant

Thanks all for the feedback! I think it may be something I will buy. I love the idea of chilling the wort, adding it to the WW with pressure and letting the trub settle before you pitch.

avensgarth
    Participant

Hey Griffin,

You might also consider the grainfather. Mine is in the garage awaiting its virgin brew over Christmas and I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Anybody else used the WW with GF and could provide some advice?

jmichelz
    Participant

Hi guys!.

I´ve been using my Braumeister 50 liter and Williams Warn and all I can say is that is the perfect match!.
    I use the shortened pipe in order to brew around 30 liters instead of a Little more than 50. (boiled goes around 27 of finished wort).

Once the boil is over I ussually Whirlpool and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then place the sanitized coil for cooling, it takes about 40 minutes to go from 90 celcius to 35. A good trick I do is cooling the fermenter to 1 Celcius and pour the wort into the cold fermenter, so the temperature equals on around 25 and it´s great!. Be sure not to pour wort over 40 celcius because you can damage the jacketed Wall (as Ian advise me that).
    Also another thing I do in order to extract a clean bright wort is doing it by a siphon with much care not direct from the bottom, (1 or 2 inches upper) I ussualy take it from the tangent side (the trub should be in the center of the BM).

I´ve brew some beers with this match and it´s perfect! plus it is very simple and friendly since you can program the mash Schedule, I let it mash while I clean and sanitise the fermenter.
    Hope this Works!!
    Cheers from Mexico!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.