Forums General Topics Bottling and Kegging Bottling Pressure/Temperature

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wobbly
    Participant

My use of the WW bottling unit has resulted in limited success so far.

I am bottling into 560mm Little Creatures crown seal bottles with the WW temperature at 2C and pressure at 1.5bar and take about 30secs to fill each bottle

My issues are unless I am super quick I get the beer foaming back out of the bottle before I get the cap on and when consumed the beer tastes under carbonated where as the same beer ex the WW is satisfactory.

What are the experiences and procedures other members that bottle use

Cheers

Wobbly

suds
    Participant

Hi Wobbly ~ have only bottled the end of my first brew, a belgium pale ale. Only got about 6 500ml bottles, (dont know where the rest went??? lol). Temp was set at 4 deg & pressure at 1.25 bar. The seals were the rubber flip ones but they seemed fine & beer when poured was good. Only foaming was when I hadnt tightened up the bottling unit properly on the bottle. Cheers Suds

Anonymous

Hi Wobbly,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with bottling out of your WilliamsWarn. As the beer you are bottling is carbonated and you are filling under counter pressure, you don’t have long to get the lid on. As soon as you take the bottle out of the bottler it is exposing the carbonated beer to oxygen hence why it is foaming and losing carbonation. Have you tried the swing top bottles? Much easier to get on and off… Our website is now configured to take online orders from Australia and are dispatched from our Sydney warehouse. Let me know if you have any questions.

Suds – did you not receive all the bottles that you ordered? Did you want to send me an email at Patrick@williamswarn.com and we can send you some replacements.

brent stephenson
    Participant

I often turn the temp up a bit when bottling, to 4deg or so (which is fridge temp?) once most of the clarification is done, and before bottling. This seems to make the beer less likely to fizz up rapidly when bottling using the WW bottling unit. Pressure is also a bit less (set on the CO2 bottle to I think around 1.25). I think I probably take a little longer than 30 seconds on the 500ml swing caps – probably around 45-55 seconds. Every now and then you get a bottle that goes a little crazy. I’m using the older version 1 bottler, mounted on the wall.

Cheers,

suds
    Participant

Just bottled the rest of a Baltic Porter, which had quite a head on it when poured from the WW. The first 4 bottles , 500ml swing top all foamed. Ian had said somewhere to turn the pressure on the WW up so I tried this & it worked straight away.
    Beer temp 3 deg. It was brewed at 1.6bar & started bottling at that. Turned pressure up to 2 bar & even after 4~5 seconds beer wasnt foaming. Nothing is worse than beer going everywhere when you are trying to get a lid on!!
    Cheers Suds

Anonymous

Go Suds!

eyesee
    Participant

While bottling my last brew the temperature rose from 1C to 3C (as I’d turned the unit off) and the beer began to foam in the bottle making a mess.
    I stopped bottling, turned the unit on again and when the temperature got back down to 1c resumed without any gas issues.
    Last summer I had great difficulty bottling on a very hot day (38c) and had to stop because there was too much foaming…tried again next morning early and it was better.
    So now I’m going to keep the beer at 1C and bottle when the outside air is coolest.

baddarcy
    Participant

I have a Brewkeg 25 and the counter pressure bottler. I have completed just the one brew using the brewkeg and bottler and had a lot foaming during bottling. I brewed an all grain stout (using grainfather), I’ve tried drinking a couple of the beers since and they tasted ok, possible slightly less carbonated than i would like, but only just. Due to the foaming there was one heck of a mess to clean up after bottling

I’ve got a wheat beer fermenting at the moment so am keen to see if there is anything i can do to reduce the foaming.

Settings

1) I had my CO2 cylinder set to 1.5 presure for bottling
    2) I was bottling into 730ml Coopers glass bottles with caps

During filling there was no foaming at all happening, absolutely none, the foaming started a soon as i started to turn off the beer flow, so by the time i had stopped the beer flow it was already foaming a fair bit, then by the time i had removed the bottle from the counter pressure bottler, beer was often already foaming out of the top of the bottle, i then had to cap it while foam was pouring everywhere.

Looking at the previous posts it looks like the recommendations are to make sure the beer is as cold as possible and to up the pressure of the gas cylinder to 2?

What worries me a little bit is that the beer started to foam as soon as i started to turn off the beer flow, does that mean that air was getting into my bottles?

Any thought/comments most welcome !

Anonymous

try bottling at a higher pressure than what its been sitting at. And be gentle and don’t knock the bottler or bottle.

wobbly
    Participant

For those that are experiencing foaming during bottling check out this link to a bottling machine that enables the user to bottle at speed without foaming!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/acosfiller/acos-hand-beer-filler-and-capper-machine

The comment at 1:26 in the YouTube for the need to maintain the bottling pressure (counter pressure) in excess of the carbonation pressure seems to be the key to reducing foaming and being able to fast fill

This in my view adds support to Ian’s comment to increase the pressure to eliminate foaming during bottling.

So if you have fermented and carbonated at say 1.5 bar then increase and maintain the system pressure to 2.0 bar during your bottling

Cheers

Wobbly

shane thompson
    Participant

I have used the counter bottling unit about a dozen times now. I have the temp at 1C and pressure around 2bar and I try to take it as slow as possible but find that I get a foamer once every 5 or 6 bottles. It doesn’t usually foam too much and I mark those bottles and make sure to drink them first.

flawlessstevy
    Participant

Man, I must be lucky. Have had zero issues with bottling.

jason2
    Participant

Has anyone tried using a tubing clamp to stop the beer flow instead of using the dispensing valve?

https://www.brewshop.co.nz/brewing-equipment/bottling-equipment/tubing-clamp-plastic.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.