Forums General Topics Brewing Methods and Techniques Brewing using LME only?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sanco
    Participant

Yet another silly question from me 🙂

Is it possible to brew in the WW Brewmaster using 2 x 1.7kg cans of LME thus replacing the DME in the process?

Would doing so work, and What difference/s would brewing this way make to the final product, if one uses the exact same type beer cans and manufacturer?

Cheers

Nolan
    Participant

LME only

Be aware, if you’re using WW LME’s, they’re already hopped…
    Go ahead and create the brew of the year 🙂

sanco
    Participant

So it can be done, and DME is not necessary?

Nolan
    Participant

One can either use LME or DME only , or both, it’s a matter of preference.
    Be aware, one needs a little less DME (~ 20% ), because it’s more concentrated.

Personally, I like most DME, easy to handle, to measure and to store, and keeps a very long time.
    Only downside, it’s very Hygroscopic, keep it very well closed in an airtight container.

If you like, add it in your bread baking, sprinkle it over your breakfast muesli or milkshake 🙂

Keep an open tin of LME for a week in the fridge and “Aspergillus Flavus” will be happy.

sanco
    Participant

True, DME is sans-water, hence more concentrated. So Nolan, why are kits sold with LME and DME in general? Better results or keeping everyone happy? 🙂

Now for the reason of my original question. I thought using two cans of LME makes for easier clarification as no powdery ingredients are used – am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Nolan
    Participant

Presumably Brew Kits are created with a calculator ?
    The Original Gravity (OG) in combination with the chosen yeast makes the product ?
    Most LME’s are hopped, most DME’s are un-hopped, using both to dial in the correct IBU.
    It might be all about marketing…?

Ask Mr Ian Williams, he might tell you his secret, how he is choosing his LME / DME combo.

DME has more fermentables, because it’s more concentrated, hence one uses less.
    Adding the correct amount of DME to the water won’t change clarification.
    Measure the OG and you’re ready to go.

I have used both as a single addition, and can’t see any difference in clarification.
    Be aware, that some yeast’s Flocculate better than others.

sanco
    Participant

Thanks Nolan, makes sense. The doubts/questions spurned from the fact some beer kits do not contain DME, that started me wonder.

Cheers

Colin Smith
    Participant

MY first Brewmaster double hopped ipa was all LME (WW APA kit and Mangrove Jacks Amber) plus 50g infused hop tea. Took 6 days but was worth it. Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.