Forums Ingredients Yeast Champagne Yeast

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nolan 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

blawrencenz
    Participant

Hi there – I’d like to try making a Champagne Pilsner and would like any pointers on whether to substitute the yeast or to double-ferment. I’m planning to use a WW Dutch Pilsner kit and can source some champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118). Should I simply replace the yeast that comes with the kit for the champagne yeast, or should I ferment as normal using the original yeast and then ferment a second time using the champagne yeast? If the latter, what’s the approach and should I be adding some extra DME to the recipe in order to give the champagne yeast something to work with? Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Nolan
    Participant

As far as I know, Wine / Champagne Yeast’s like LALVIN EC-1118 ferments different sugars.
    Apparently, it doesn’t ferment Maltotriose, one of the main sugars in beer wort (LME / DME).
    You might get a very different taste result. You might like it, try it out…

Personally, I would use this kind of yeast only for Cider.

Increasing the carbonation level might give you the desired result.
    German Weizen Beer, some call it the Champagne of Beer, has about 2.8 to 5.1 Volumes of CO2.
    At about 5º C one would need about ~ 30 PSI or more to achieve such levels.
    Be prepared, beer under such high pressure will create lots of foam.
    Cider, on the other hand, will come like fizzy champagne out of the beer-line.

If you prefer a real Champagne Style Beer -Méthode Champenoise- try this article.

How Malheur Brewery created ‘Champagne-Style’ Beer | The Sessions #89 (Beer In History)

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Nolan.

blawrencenz
    Participant

Many thanks Nolan. If the champagne yeast ferments different sugars, do you think it’d be possible to continue with the standard kit yeast as normal and then try a second fermentation with the champagne yeast? The Garage Project’s ‘Hops on Pointe’ champagne pilsner is described as being “finished with a champagne yeast”. If I try this approach would you recommend starting the fermentation with the champagne yeast before, or after, any temperature adjustment for the diacetyl rest?

I’m using a WilliamsWarn brewmaster, so can control the fermenting pressure relatively easily for additional carbonation.

Thanks again

Nolan
    Participant

Well, I would start with the Fermentis S-23 or any other Lager yeast
    for about 4 days or longer, depending on fermentation activity,
    before adding the Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast.
    After a few more days fermentation should be nearly finished.

Gravity reading should have reached about 2.5º Plato etc.

If you like doing a Diacetyl-Rest, this would be the time.
    Then cool down for clarification.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.