Forums Recipes Ale Chilli Beer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robin Wells
    Participant

Hi, has anyone have a recipe for a chilli ale, I’m thinking of doing one from a base of English pale ale, what I need to know is how many chilli’s to add (23 litres). Thanks

brendos
    Participant

Hi Robin
    Did you settle in how much to add? If so, how did it turn out?

I also thought about this but couldn’t find any definitive guide presumably because of all the different types/heat. The best I could find is this trial and error approach.

1. Keg Beer
    2. Toss in chilies
    3. Pull out when desired level of chilli flavor is achieved.

Not too helpful.

I do see Brewshop have a wheat beer recipe pack with chilli and they add 8gm of hot chilli flakes.

For anyone else interested in the technique
    https://byo.com/bock/item/1088-make-your-beer-burn-bring-the-heat-of-hot-peppers-to-your-brewing

Robin Wells
    Participant

Hi, yes I did the chilli beer, I soaked 6 red jalapeño chillies in alcohol for 24 hours, then made 23 litres of English Pale Ale and add all the chillies and alcohol to the brew, I took the chillies out after the fermentation had finished then cleared as normal. Very pleased with the outcome, would do the same again, you can taste the chillies and leaves a nice tingle on the throat, but not too much, plus it doesn’t get hotter the more you drink, perfect. Cheers.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Robin Wells.
    brendos
    Participant

Thanks for that, good to know. Did you cut up and de-seed or put in whole?

Robin Wells
    Participant

Hi, I chopped them up and put the seeds in also, the seeds ended up in the yeast bottle, the rest floated on top, l sieved them out after fermentation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.