Forums Ingredients Extract Coopers liquid extract use?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jape
    Participant

In here (Finland) I found from foodstore some Australian Coopers, but there is no dry extract at all, jus liquid part.
    Instructions said empty that can in 23L of water and add 1kg sugar…and thats it?? Can it be like that with WW?

Anyone…?

I love to use WW extract but all is use for now and new ones should order from other side of the world and I’m THIRSTY πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› …

help please…support…

jerome
    Participant

If you can find unhopped liquid malt extract then that will be better than cane sugar. I think the rule of thumb is to use 20% less DME than LME for equivalence.

Or use a mix of dextrose and LME.

I also ran across this:

1KG dextrose == 1.2KG DME
    1KG DME == 1.25KG LME

DME is 80% as fermentable as dextrose
    LME is 75% as fermentable as DME

timbo
    Participant

I’ve brewed a Coopers Pale Ale in my WW which turned out OK, I used the ‘Coopers brew enhancer 2’ rather than the sugar though.
    I prefer the WW kits but like you Jape I’m limited by my location.

deanco
    Participant

Hi Jape, if you can find the Coopers Pale Ale like Timbo it can make a good base using BE2 (or Brew Enhancer 2) and some steeped grains. I just finished what i might call an American Brown Ale – albeit hopped like an APA, it still falls into the ABA category because of its colour more so than anything. This is what i used:

Coopers Pale Ale extract can
    Brew Enhancer 2
    500 grams of light dry malt extract
    200 grams of crystal malt grain (steeped in 75C for 40min)
    100 grams of chocolate or dark malt grain (steeped in 75C for 40min)
    50 grams Cascade hops boiled 30 min
    50 grams of Cascade in mixed dry hop
    25 grams of Goldings in mixed dry hop
    Fermentis US05 11g dry yeast packet

I made this into a 21L batch for extra body and a higher alcohol of a aprox 5.6% ABV. OG was about 1.054 from memory. I think ferment time was about 5 days and then i dry hopped for 1 week. Then crashed cooled to 1 C in the WW for 24 hours. One clarification and less than 24 hours later i was tapping off a reasonably clear ABA. Good for draught too.

It has strong grassy and earthy hop notes and a mild malty flavour with an off-white head that has reasonable retention. It reminds me of an English Bitter but much more hopped and alcohol warmth. I was aiming for an APA. The last Coopers Pale Ale i tried with BE2 and some Sauvin hops boiled for 10mins turned out very tangy and light so i was guessing that it needed a little push with chocolate malt to be a good APA – but looking back i think 300-400gms of crystal malt on its own would have been good and no chocolate malt. My neighbour loved it as did my wife, so it was a good result.

Hope this helps you think about something else you can make like i did while we wait for more WW kits to arrive πŸ™‚

jape
    Participant

Thanks for an ideas, BUT i look simple recipe what I need…i’m simple man πŸ˜‰

My extract is Australian Coopers Lager, 1,7kg hopped malt concentrate and Yeast 7 grams (don’t know type).

Just basic recipe by using WW like normal Lager 7 days method. What kind dry extract i have to find? Normally
    when using WW kits don’t need any sugar but is that already in dry extract bag?

Like WW user manual says, I get other things but no that drymalt extract so what should I buy?

avensgarth
    Participant

Hi Jape,

The easiest thing would be to buy 2 kits and combine them in the one 23l brew. Use both yeast sachets and make sure you rehydrate and oxygenate the yeast as much as possible (i.e. add yeast to water and swirl vigorously every 10minutes before pitching).

If you can, get a good quality lager yeast to use instead of the yeast that comes with the kit (the kit yeasts are often stale).

Let us know how it turns out πŸ™‚

Cheers, Christian.

joshd
    Participant

@jape wrote:

Thanks for an ideas, BUT i look simple recipe what I need…i’m simple man πŸ˜‰

My extract is Australian Coopers Lager, 1,7kg hopped malt concentrate and Yeast 7 grams (don’t know type).

Just basic recipe by using WW like normal Lager 7 days method. What kind dry extract i have to find? Normally
    when using WW kits don’t need any sugar but is that already in dry extract bag?

Like WW user manual says, I get other things but no that drymalt extract so what should I buy?

Hi Jape,

First of all, you should be aware that the yeast supplied with all the Coopers LME cans is a generic Ale yeast, even if it says Lager on the can. If you brew with this yeast and the Lager LME you will actually be making a hybrid ale, similar to but probably not as nice as a WW Summer Ale.

If you really want to make a Lager with the Coopers LME then you will need to purchase a real Lager yeast, such as those made by Fermentis, which is what are supplied with the WW LME cans, otherwise try the Coopers yeast and brew it as an Ale.

The simplest recipe would be to follow the instructions on the Coopers LME can and just add 1kg of dextrose, however the resulting beer will probably not be as nice as one made substituting all of the dextrose for an amount of their “Brew Enhancer” or also adding a second can of unhopped LME.
    Plus I would recommend steeping in some additional hops using the coffee press method to give it a bit more hop.

gav
    Participant

I agree in part with some of these. I would use a liquid malt not hopped and yes dump the coopers yeast and get some yeast that you know what it is. Then you can treat it well!

jape
    Participant

Hello again, I have lots of good instructions so far and I did it like this.

I use that 1,7kg LME Coopers, its own yeast and add 1kg BE2 in comΒ΄ne like DME…method was normal Lager 9 days and its WORKS…BEER is…I mean was good and its all gone… πŸ˜† …I and my friends love it and now I make it more…

Thanks everyone to answer and helped me…

jape

hnoor0055
    Participant

thanks for everything

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.