Forums Ingredients Yeast Double Yeast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bulkbuys
    Participant

I have just put down a EPA but added an extra yeast, thinking it might speed up the fermentation. I have never done this before and know little about it.

Is it likely to work (well?)

And any advice or anything else I need to do or look for?

Cheers

wobbly
    Participant

Hi Bulkbuys
    I have done one of my brews 23 lts with an OG of 1048 and used 2 packets of “slightly out of date” US-05. Fermentation was over in 2 days and I think the finished beer lacked a bit of hop flavour (possibly stripped out by the aggressive yeast action) so I made a hop tea depressurised the WW opened the lid and tipped the hop tea in and then represurised again. This action while not recommended didn’t seem to cause any oxidation of the beer and I guess that is because there was still a CO2 blanket on top of the beer because CO2 is heavier then standard air.

Cheers

Wobbly

bulkbuys
    Participant

Thanks Wobbly.

Good to know of the potential of the flavour being stripped – Its a pretty hoppy brew anyway (305g of pellets used) so hopefully it doesnt detract too much otherwise I will follow your suit and add more.

bulkbuys
    Participant

Just to update this post, it went really well. Sped up the brew process by a couple of days which meant I was able to bottle in time for a gathering I was going to.

I suspect I lost a little flavour but it was still not a bad brew. Would do it again if I needed to speed up the process.

joshd
    Participant
    avensgarth
    Participant

Mate, was that for one of your comp brews?

bulkbuys
    Participant

No. It prob should’ve been though.
    That was my practice brew. The next brew I did I entered (due to running out of time) – but wasn’t very happy with it.
    It was an EPA with Pacifica and Riwaka, and 100g each of Toffee malt and Gladiator malt, but I muffed it by trying to add extra hops after cooling which watered it down too much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.