Forums Recipes Lager Fermentation duration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    daddyq
    Participant

Just want to see if fellow brewers are sticking to the 3 days at 15•c and 3 days at 18•c ? Thought I possibly could have extended my fermentation at both temps but didn’t as it is my first lager attempt.

jerome
    Participant

it’s all about the SG. If it’s at the target after your diacetyl rest then you can keg or bottle it (or drink from the unit). Usually this is 3+3 days. Sometimes 4+3 – depends on how quickly the yeast gets going. Ultimately I never just let it go for x days before doing y – it always is dictated by the SG.

daddyq
    Participant

What SG do you try to get to before raising temp for diacetyl rest?

jerome
    Participant

Usually I raise the temp at 1.018. Sometimes it is lower but it doesn’t seem to make much difference. The point is that the “number of days” blurb on the cans is just a guide. If the beer isn’t at FG after the stated number of days it doesn’t (necessarily) mean something has gone wrong, you just need to wait another day or two.

waleed030
    Participant

If the beer isn’t at FG after the stated number of days it doesn’t (necessarily) mean something has gone wrong, you just need to wait another day or two.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.