Forums General Topics Equipment Gas bottle: No. of brews?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    elz
    Participant

Just wondering how many brews the typical 6 kg gas bottle lasts for? Mine seems to only last for 6, does this appear low? Mainly use for draught, will the occassional bottling
    Cheers
    Elz

bulkbuys
    Participant

Yea I would think that is pretty low. I think I got 9 or 10 out of my last one and bottle the majority of the beer.

elz
    Participant

Mmmmm… . I thought it was low also. I have checked for leaks, bit none found. Could be i have the gas set too high. Normally have it set to 1.9 bar. I will experiment and set it lower this and future brews
    Cheers
    Elz

7stallsbrewingny
    Participant

Well there are several steps in the WW process that use some additional C02 but here are the approximate keg dispensing uses based on various C02 bottle sizes. I will only dispense from Sixtels so I can’t comment on the bottle method. I have two tanks. One for the WW and one for the fridge holding the Sixtels.

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank-aid-89.html

Cheers.
    Jon

tonycox
    Participant

Elz, we got almost 5 months from our first bottle with almost continuous brewing. The second one lasted a month but we worked out the push fit into the bottle was not pushed home fully.

Easy test is to make sure the control knob is set to X, turn the bottle off and check to see if the outlet pressure drops off over time.

Thinking of getting an adaptor for a sodastream bottle so we don’t get caught out again when its time to bottle.

elz
    Participant

Hi Tony and 7stalls
    By all accounts I am getting sub par use from the gas bottle. I will try turning off the gas today to see if the pressure holds. According to the table from 7stalls I should be getting 46 +/- brews from a bottle, based on a 15 lb bottle. As noted above I only got 6 brews. Maybe the seal between the bottle and the regulator was not tight enough (just over hand tight).
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Elz

ninjakiwichris
    Participant

I was about to ask this same question, I have the older model soda stream only and can only really get one brew dispensed from on soda stream canister. That’s pour only too as the nifty bottling attachment won’t fit on my model either.

Anonymous

Hi. You should get 20-30 brews out of a 6 kg bottle. It depends how much you bottle and keg though and how much purging you do when bottling. But people who brew continuously can get 6 months or more out of a bottle. If you brew every 2 weeks it should last a year. So you must have leak if its lasting only 6 brews. Have a look for it. Cheers. Ian

roger mellie
    Participant

Im with Ian – I have a 4.5 kg fire extinguisher and I would expect to get 20+ brews from my bottle. I also dispense from my bottle and occasionally force carb for more bubbles.

I suggest you have a leak. A little squeeze bottle (doesn’t need to be spray bottle) with a couple of squirts of dishwashing liquid in – fill up with water – squirt over EVERY fitting, QD, valve, non return, gauge and you will find it it will bubble up no matter how small the leak.

I had a CO2 bottle once with a leaky valve stem on the actual cylinder so check every connection.

Cheers

RM

elz
    Participant

Thanks for all the feed back. I have checked for leaks and there appears to be none. Fingers crossed all is now fine. At least other WW users can now know what to expect from their gas supply
    Cheers
    Elz

joshd
    Participant

FYI:
    after 12 months of solid brewing I get about 9 or 10 done using my WilliamsWarn supplied 4.5kg bottle, just the other day I got it refilled again for the 3rd time (it came full) in order to make my 31st beer

also, once the beer is fermented, carbonated and cooled I used to leave the gas control knob turned to the WW vessel in order to keep it pressurised and fully carbonated, but I have found this isn’t always necessary as the beer will or should hold its fizz as long as there is enough pressure evident (at least 15 PSI maybe?)

one other thought: with my regulator setup there is a little white plastic o-ring or washer that helps create a good seal between the reg and the bottle, which likes to fall out and roll away into pesky hard to find places when you take the reg off. Possibly if your’s is missing you might be losing gas?

elz
    Participant

Thanks JohnD
    I did check the white washer and it was in place. I reckon I did not have it screwed tight enough, and there a slow slow leak. It seems that there is a bit of variance between brewers, some seeming to bet more bang for their gas. Maybe a lower setting?
    Cheers Elz

hacatan
    Participant

I bought the WW in October 13, have just refilled the bottle at Tank Test Manukau 1st May for $65. Pretty much exactly 6 months and have brewed 16 times and bottled on 15 occasions (first brew all 23litres drunk on the first night) . I don’t think I have a leak but turn the cylinder off during fermentation, briefly on for clarification, then leave on for pouring/bottling. Suspect this new bottle will last longer as was pretty generous in charging the bottles with CO2 when bottling, drink the stuff so fast that oxidation is NOT going to be a problem! Most brews pressure is set at 1.5bar.

avensgarth
    Participant

Hi,

I’d be interested to know what pressure you all maintain post fermentation?

When crash cooling
    Prior to and during bottling
    When dispensing from the tap

I’ve played around with a few different levels and seem to get ok results at 20PSI but wonder if that’s to high?

Thoughts…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.