Forums Ingredients Malt Grain for increasing body in an APA?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  shane thompson 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

brent stephenson
    Participant

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anybody has a preferred grain for increasing slightly the body and alc% of the American Pale Ale kit. Love the basic kit as it is, and have steeped some US Centennial Hops for a little more hoppy flavor (will be adding more and probably boiling, steeping, and dry-hopping my next batch), but would like to steep some grains to get a little more body. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
    Brent

7stallsbrewingny
    Participant

Brent, we used 1 lb of 40L Crystal malt and it came out beautiful. Steep only at 155 degreesF in a grain bag and reserve some water to rinse it well. The rinsing grabs any extra flavors before you add to the WW. This method will enhance the body, color, and taste of the recipe and should be balanced by the extra hops. Note that it will not increase the alcohol content much compared to adding more DME. We also add more DME to get the % where we want it.

Cheers,

Jon

brent stephenson
    Participant

Awesome – thanks very much Jon. Which Crystal malt did you use? I just did my first batch with Crystal malt – some light and some medium, at the same temperature you suggest. Excited to see how it turns out with this as it will be my first time using grains. I too added more DME. I also bumped up the hops with some boiling, some steeping, and some dry hopping…all kiwi hops as this will be my entry to the NZ Pale Ale competition WW are running…hopefully! 😀

Many thanks,
    Brent

shane thompson
    Participant

Sorry to hijack the thread but the last post was a while ago so… here i go! I have had my WW for a few months now and brew with extract and steeping grains. I have been having issues with high FG (1.02~1.022) and am wondering if it is perhaps the steeping grain process that is adding too many unfermentables to the wort. Has anyone who else who does extract and steeping had this issue?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.