Forums General Topics General Brewing Discussions Heineken style lager

This topic contains 29 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  sanco 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Ray Williams
    Participant

Hi All

I am a first time user to the Williams warn which I purchased last week, I have chosen a Dutch Pilsener and put it down last night, just some info on this brew please, I have set the temp at 15 degrees to start with and in three days I will turn it up to 18 Degrees after three days, but at what stage do i remove the yeast from the bowl and also when do i clarify it and when do i set the temperature to cold,it says seven days for a lager, can anyone tell me please

Ray

aj cooper
    Participant

I

aj cooper
    Participant

I have just done the Dutch Pilsner with the New Zealand Green Bullet hop, It’s a pretty easy great tasting beer.

Nolan
    Participant

Sorry couldn’t help, but the beer was delicious…

Anonymous

Ray. 3 full 24 hour periods at 15’C then 3 full 24 hour periods at 18’C. That’s 6 full days. Then put the cooling on. After 12 hours you can do the first clarification. Follow the video instructions on our website.

Ray Williams
    Participant

Thanks Ian really appreciated

bugman
    Participant

I think ive made a mistake with my Heineken,it came with a yeast as well as a yeast Enhancer{only found the enhancer after a couple of days] my question is ,is the brew stuffed or dont i really need the enhancer

Anonymous

Who’s product is it? Is the enhancer malt extract or a small sachet or something for the yeast specifically?

bugman
    Participant

@ian WilliamsWarn wrote:

Who’s product is it? Is the enhancer malt extract or a small sachet or something for the yeast specifically?

Its the Mangrove Jack’s Dutch Lager Beer Kit and its a Lager Brew Enhancer{ seperate sachet} i phoned the store and they said without it, the beer will be a 2.5% beer and it “should” still taste the same , but i could try to introduce it now{day 6} but to be careful not to stir it to much as it would wreck the brew.I wonder if i could put it in the sedimate bottle and introduce it that way

sanco
    Participant

Hi Ray, don’t do what I did the first time though. Follow what Ian wrote and you will be just fine, but don’t forget to close the valve of the sediment bottle before you flush the beer with the clarifying agent 🙂
    Then open it again and wait 24 hours, after which you’ll close the valve again, remove the bottle and rinse it all (look at the video) then fill the bottle with foam by pushing the pourer valve backwards. Replace bottle and withe the valve still close do a second clarification and reopen the valve. 24 hours later you should have a ready-to-drink nectar 🙂

sanco
    Participant

The brew is ready and was sampled last night for the first time. Near-perfect to Heineken flavour and colour, I would say. I am really happy with it.

I have used the Mangrove Jacks International series Dutch lager can and Mangrove Jack’s Beer Enhancer German Lager #60, wich I mixed together with 2 litres of filtered water and boiled for 15 minutes. I pitched 2 S23’s and brewed at 14 C for 3.5 days then diacetyl at 18 C for another 3 days. Finally cooled it to 1 C overnight and then 2 clarifications.

Real good brew.

bugman
    Participant

Well on the other hand mind didnt turn out to well after the second claraifaction it was still really cloudy so i did a third and still not clear.The foam was really cloudy and dence.So i did what the ww manuel said and it is now drinkable but to me doesnt taste like heinkein ,dont know what happeded but followed the instrutions from the shop {19degs for 6 days,cold crash,then clarify}.Really dishearting when things go wrong but oh well

sanco
    Participant

Happens, Bugman. Try again and follow what I did and you will not be disappointed 🙂

Daniel McKenzie
    Participant

Hi Sanco

What sized WW brewkeg do you have, the 10l or 23l? Also, can you explain why you had to boil the mixture? Is this in the instructions?

I’m really keen to get a Heineken style lager too, so just want to understand the details.

Cheers
    Dan

sanco
    Participant

Hi Daniel, only saw your post today – not receiving notifications any longer, for some reason.

I have a brewmaster (23ltrs). Reason why I boiled the wort (LME+DME) just to try a hybrid brew of sorts. On all grains the wort is boiled and I thought it maybe would integrate the flavours more. Couldn’t say if I could discern any difference at all in the finished product.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.