Forums General Topics Non-Beer Brewing How do I get rid of the yeast flavour

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ts189935 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

travelgurujess
    Participant

Greetings. I just made our first batch of WW cider. We let it ferment at 24.5 degrees or so for 6 1/2 days. I really don’t like an obvious yeast smell or flavour. Is there a way to make that more subtle?

bugman
    Participant

You should have done it at 23dges for 4 days then cold crash it ,who told you to do it for 6.5 days

bwp
    Participant

I have done a couple of ciders with sub par results. Yeast smell and taste as well as clarification issues.

My last batch was the best.
    I reduced the qty of yeast used by about 1/4 of the packet. I did this after reading that 1 yeast sachet was suitable for 20L which seemed excessive in a BK10.
    It removed the yeast smell and taste but still had clarification issues.
    I have only ever fermented for 4 days. There is always still plenty of activity in the sediment bottle. I dont have a hydrometer so cannot take a SG reading. Maybe I need to ferment it longer?

@bugman. WW state cider can ferment for 4-6 days so hes not too far off thw mark!

brendos
    Participant

6 days will be a bit drier than 4 days days(which should be a bit sweeter) .

How long did chill for and at what temp?
    If a short period of time, try going colder for longer – this is when the yeast falls out of suspension. Go down to 1 degree for at least two days before drinking.

Cheers

travelgurujess
    Participant

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I think we solved the issue. We have the 10 litre tanks and the Williams Warn Cider kit for that size has a full size packet of yeast in it that can do up to 30 litres! So we have just put a third of the packet in this round. Bugman, we read that there is a range of 4-7 days for brewing the cider, the longer the drier and I like very little sweetness in my cider. The flavour was awesome behind the yeast so we will see how this batch goes. Brendos, we did notice it was a little less yeasty day 2 of chilling it at 2 degrees, so we will chill it a bit longer and colder to see how we get on.

johnwicks5444
    Participant

Yeast strains produce phenol flavors as a normal part of their metabolism. These strains have enzymes that other brewing yeast lack. Are you facing Professional Service Bureau Debt Collection Harassment? Give us a shout today & get rid of phone harassment from this agency etc.

ts189935
    Participant

After 8 years as a sleep expert in a couple of mattress stores and seeing thousands of people experiences with many brands, he decided to write and put all of these years of experience into help guides so others can make the right decision when buying sleep products without having to suffer sleepless nights as a result of choosing the wrong mattress.

best cooling sheets

ts189935
    Participant

After 8 years as a sleep expert in a couple of mattress stores and seeing thousands of people experiences with many brands, he decided to write and put all of these years of experience into help guides so others can make the right decision when buying sleep products without having to suffer sleepless nights as a result of choosing the wrong mattress.

why do i wake up tired

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.