Forums Ingredients Hops Loosing hop flavour after bottling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shaneg
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I made a very nice American Pale Ale. When brewing in my WW, I dry hopped 50 grams of Mosaic and 50 grams of Citra hops after 4 days of brewing. The flavour and smell where very very nice. However when I bottled it and stored in the fridge for a week, all that nice hoppy flavour and smell seemed to disappear.
    Am I doing anything wrong or is it normal for the taste / smell to change after a week??

Nolan
    Participant

How did you bottle your beer ?
    Sometimes, some of the hop-flavour is blown away with the Carbon dioxide (CO2) ?
    Sometimes, to much exposure to Oxygen (O2) accelerates decomposition of hops ?

shaneg
    Participant

Thanks Nolan.

I bottled with the WW bottler. I did have my pressure in the tank set at 1.8 Bar. Would that be to high??
    I don’t think that the brew would have to much exposure to oxygen – I on;y had the lid off for approx 10 seconds. Enough time to throw in the muslin bag of hops.

Nolan
    Participant

Well, I presume you have fermented at 1.8 bar ?
    If so ? You don’t have to transfer at the same level. Rather much lower.

When you take off the bottle before you put the cap on, have you some overflow ?
    Make sure, that the beer and the bottles are at their coolest temperature possible.

Be aware, even after a week, beer matures and mellows during this conditioning period.
    One can be surprised, how beer will change after some time in the fridge.

shaneg
    Participant

Thanks mate. It make sense. The beer certainly does change. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.