Forums General Topics Brewing Methods and Techniques Messed up during clarification stage. Advice needed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott L
    Participant

Hi, first time using my BK10. I didn’t shit the vprv when clarifying. Will this do anything?

I also forgot to shut the sediment bottle valve. Will this mean that all the sediment had just been blasted into the key and that I have toned the beer?

Rather worried right now.

bwp
    Participant

Hi. After fermentation, at time of crash cooling you should close the vprv. This is due to the fact that when cooling the beer will drop in pressure. Eventually it will loose all carbonation with it ooen.
    Not sure what you have done in the last 24hrs since your post but you should close the vprv and connect up the co2. In a day or 2 it should be ok. Dont stress that you left the butterfly valve open when clarifying. Although not ideal, any sediment that potentially made its way to the beer will settle again.
    Cheers

Scott L
    Participant

Thanks. I checked this morning and the sediment bottle looks full to the top. Is this normal? I have another brew, a summer ale, which I clarified last night but no defined line this morning. Any tips around that?

bwp
    Participant

Dont panic about the sediment bottle being full. If you want, close the butterfly valve, wash out the contents, sanitise the bottle, top up with beer foam and connnect back up. Be sure to release the butterfly valve slowly once conmected back up.
    Dont worry if there is no defined line. on your second brew. Just do you second clarification 12 or so hours after your first. Both brews will be fine.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by bwp.
    Scott L
    Participant

Turned out fantastic. Polished off ten litres over labor weekend

bwp
    Participant

Good stuff!
    What did you do in the end to overcome your faux pas?

Scott L
    Participant

I just let it settle longer and shut the vprv ASAP. Pressure was 1.5 so that was okay and it came out clear. Just cost me a day.

benleongnz
    Participant

Hi Scott,Feel free to come join the community of WW brewing equipment owners on Facebook, you will find the members will help you out with any issues very promptly 🙂 , just search “williamswarn owners group”

Scott L
    Participant

Thanks for the invite however I ditched Facebook three years ago and never looked back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.