Forums General Topics General Brewing Discussions Metallic Taste – AGAIN!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  benleongnz 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Luke Birmingham
    Participant

I’ve been using a BrewMaster for the last 18 months.

I’ve finished about 15 brews:

– only 2 have finished up as a 7/10 (no other flavours)
    – most have had a strong metallic flavour, and a ripe smell
    – a few have had the metallic taste but been just drinkable (usually throw out the last few litres)

I clean, sanitise and completed a thorough sanitising clean, more than once…and still get this metalic taste
    I’ve gone through plenty of WW product taking note of the use by dates… even the newest product has the same results
    I’ve changed water supply, and even used purified water… same result.

I would love for someone to tell me that I’m not cleaning it well enough…because then it would be a fairly straight forward issue to solve!

I’ve read some blogs that suggest a metallic taste usually comes from something metal, but the machine is as per the factory.

I just brewed a Summer Ale and that horrid taste is back to haunt me. Help!

Nolan
    Participant

As far as I know, the BrewMaster is entirely build from Stainless Steel…
    Apart from knobs, lids, seals, sediment bottles etc.
    As you have already changed water supply, there should be no metal taste whatsoever.

Personally, I am using the BrewKeg and have never encountered any metal flavours.

What is the taste like ? Biting on a peace of aluminium-foil ? Or eating a penny ?

Stainless Steel is seen as the best component in brewing and the best insurance
    against metallic flavours.

I presume the LME’s in the WilliamsWarn BrewKits, are still coming in Metal Tins ?
    Hope those LME’s are not contaminated ?

Just to make sure, try some LME in plastic containers, like Briess Malt etc.
    Or, brew some All-Grain-Beer.

If you still have metal flavours, you might better contact WilliamsWarn.

Nolan
    Participant

In addition.
    Are you using Star San in high concentration without rinsing ?
    If so, next time use the recommended concentration and do proper rinsing.

Do you bottle condition ? Use kegs ? Drink direct from the BrewMaster ?

How old is your Hops ?

Luke Birmingham
    Participant

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for the post reply.

I reckon the WW LME tins should be fine, or I suspect this forum would be filled with similar posts to mine.

But the taste is much like tin, or eating a penny. The beer is a good colour, well carbonated but the after taste is hard to ignore.

I didn’t use any additional hops for the last failed brew (which is now down the sink) … I didn’t want to complicate the flavours whilst trying to pin point the actual off flavour that keeps developing.

I drink straight from the BrewMaster draft tap, but I reckon I can almost tell prior to tasting that the brew is infected because of the over-ripe aroma that comes out of the vpr when making adjustments. (I’ve had enough failed brews to be familiar with that smell)

I normally use the no-rinse sanitiser from WW. The crew at WW have also just sent me some pictures and info about additional line cleaning.

So next step for me is doing a deep clean and then see what the results are. Failing that I think I’ll try some of the different LME’s that you’ve suggested.

I’ll post back and update the result!

benleongnz
    Participant

Hey guys, come join the 700+ members discussing WilliamsWarn brewing in our owners group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/485267548502099/

You will find it far more interactive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.