Forums General Topics All Grain Brewing No Dump – Filter Only

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    roger mellie
    Participant

Haven’t been been making a lot of beer of late – but 3 beers I made for Xmas and the latest Pilsener I have made I have followed a simple method that I think makes the WW experience all that much better. (By better I mean less wastage)

Don’t get me wrong – the single (or sometimes double) sediment pot dump and clarification agent addition works well – very well.

The last 3 brews however – I have tried to keep as much break matter out of the fermenter – and simply fermented for 1 week – chilled for 4 days and racked off to a keg through a 1 micron filter.

The only trick is to make sure that the keg and filter is all at the same pressure and that there has been ample CO2 purging. I work on about 1 Bar so the filter has to be a good quality one (mine is)

So the procedure is

1. Make Beer – try and keep as much break material out of the fermenter (good kettle fining agent/whilrpool)
    2. Wait 1 week or until you beer has finished
    3. Chill to 1 Deg C – for at least 4 days
    4. Irrespective of whether the beer line in the filter is visible or not close the dump valve
    5. Drop pressure in the fermenter to 1 BarG – Hook up CO2 with regulator at 1 Bar
    6. Connect filter to the CO2 port and purge
    7. Connect the Keg to the CO2 port and purge
    8. Connect purged Filter/Keg and pressurise
    9. Fill Filter and invert
    10. Start beer flow by depressing the keg to create a slight difference in pressure
    11. Transfer of 23 litres should take about 20 mins

Benefits

1. Filtering is always a good thing – you end up with very bright beer
    2. Less waste
    3. Less process
    4. If you get the timing right – dumping another brew on top of the yeast from the previous brew is really simple

Downside

You have to wait 10 days for the beer to be ready to drink

Cheers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.