Forums Ingredients Water Reverse Osmosis or just filtered and softened

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    7stallsbrewingny
    Participant

Hi fellow brewers,
    I used 100% reverse osmosis water on my first brew. Do you think there is anything wrong with just using softened water instead. The reason I ask is the RO system only stores about 3 gallons so I have to plan ahead.

Thanks,

Jon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Jon!
    I spent two years using the water from the RO system. Everything was good! However, now it seems to me that in beer there is some unpleasant flavor. I walked away from this water. I think to ordinary drinking water it is best. Disinfecting filter UV, for reliability.
    Generally you need to drink a glass of water, for example. If you like the taste water , then and like taste beer. This is my opinion.
    Sorry for my english.

sochnedo
    Participant

Do you think there is anything wrong with just using softened water instead. The reason I ask is the RO system only stores about 3 gallons so I have to plan ahead.??

bruiserbbq
    Participant

In my younger days I looked after a water treatment system in a large steam generation power station which had a big reverse osmosis plant which is really an extreme water filter.

Very high pressure water is forced through a membrane filter and only water molecules are small enough to fit through the filter.

It was explained to us that….imagine a water molecule is the size of a ping pong ball….then a bacteria molecule would be the size of a basketball….so only pure water molecules manage to pass through the membrane filter…unfortunately/fortunately all other particles are too large to fit through….which includes any minerals etc.

So once again you need to look at RO system/water as a really extreme water filter….that removes all the “bad” stuff as well all the so called “good” stuff….minerals etc.

Hope this helps

Cheers Mark

Anonymous

We generally just keep it simple and say if you can drink it you can brew with it. A few minerals is good for yeast flocculation especially Calcium so RO water isn’t ideal anyway. Ian

andreweden
    Participant

Phew! I started reading this thread and started to think I was really going to need more gear. Our QLD water is pretty hard and the coffee machine needs regular descaling but I hadn’t had any problem so far with the WW (20-ish brews in the last 15 months). I’ll keep using the tap water 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.