Forums Recipes Ale Roger’s Landlord

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jerome
    Participant

I’ve been looking for a good Landlord recipe and I see Roger Mellie has one on tap at the Fulchester – any chance of a sneaky peak Roger?

roger mellie
    Participant

Jerome

This is my favourite UK Bitter – I am up to MK iX of this beer and I can honestly say that I am as far away from the real TTL as I was when I started. But its been fun trying.

I can point you in the direction of Dr Smurtos on AHB – he is the master – I take no kudos. If you are in Auckland you are welcome to come around for a pint. The low level alarm on the keg hasn’t gone off yet.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/680-drsmurtos-landlord/

There is some good reading on that thread.

Some things I have learned

1. The best efforts I have made have been using 1469 – I have tried 05/1187/S-04/1272 – nothing else compares to the West Yorkshire – but bolt your fermenter down.
    2. Aiming for 1.043 ish in my opinion has the effect (at least with my equipment) of leaving the beer a bit bland – I aim for 1.048 now – out of style I know.
    3. I think my Golden Promise/Dark Crystal effort was the best so far
    4. Mashing low (64) and using 1469 will leave a 1.009/10 beer – as the good doctor states – a clean crisp bitter.
    5. Max out on Styrians – late/dry and lots of them.

Other learnings

The good Dr Smurtos correctly states that the TTL itself is all about Styrian Goldings – got to be the European one

Low carbonation is truer to style – the last one I fermented at about 1.3 Bar – seems OK – wouldn’t go higher.

Good Luck

RM

jerome
    Participant

Excellent ta! I love TTL – always great when you see it on in London!

Will take you up on a sample at the FA – maybe when my doppelbock is done. Or a joint brew day if you plan to make it again sometime and I miss the current keg.

Cheers.

roger mellie
    Participant

Joint brew day sounds good – let us know when you think your doppelbock is doing the damage – always a few surprises here at the FA.

Cheers

RM

wobbly
    Participant

Hi Roger

Re your comment above to ” but bolt your fermenter down” I assume the 1476 is quite/very aggressive

Is/was that so?

My interest is mainly to do with how well the WW copes with big/aggressive ferments like you get with this and some of the wheat yeasts.

Did you compensate for a possible larger krausen by reducing the vol into the WW or did you still target 23 litres?

If it was super aggressive did it foam up and out the VPRV and if so was that an issue at the time?

Cheers

Wobbly

roger mellie
    Participant

Wayne

1469 is notorious for a monster krausen. I have used it plenty of times in plastic fermenters and it tries to climb out. I had hoped that with the pressurised ferment (still learning) that it would be suppressed somewhat – and for a while it was – but on Day 3 there was foam touching the sight glass – fortunately no fluid out the VPRV – but close.

I will be doing a wheat with 3638 shortly – I expect a similar outcome.

I think cutting back on volume to allow a little more headspace is prudent with these yeasts.

Cheers

RM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.