Forums General Topics All Grain Brewing Yeast Activity and All Grain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    griffin
    Participant

Hello,

I just finished up my first All Grain Brewing session this week. I made an IPA 1.064. I hydrated the S05 yeast just like I have done many times prior when doing extract brewing. Normally during extract brewing, about 24 hours after pitching the S05 takes off and is seen as very fine sediment like consisteny in the sediment bottle.

This time (All Grain) the yeast took off just like usual in 24 hours but the consistency is different. there are clumps of yeast floating around and its much more active than usual. I tried to remove most of the trub before i pitched the yeast. would any left over trub attach itself to the yeast and create larger clumps?

Thanks,

Brian

wobbly
    Participant

Hi Brian

What you are describing is what I see. Not sure why the difference from fermenting an extract based beer is. Must be something to do with the amount of cold break still in the wort.

My practice has now become at the end of the boil in my Braumeister cool to 20C and then let the wort settle for around 60 mins before carefully draining into WW leaving behind as much break material as possible put the lid on and then start the WW set at around 18C and let it sit/settle for another 45 to 60 mins by which time the sediment bottle is about half full of trub/cold break. I empty that and then pitch the yeast as normal and I still see “floating” stuff in the sediment bottle during the ferment.
    Generally at the end of the ferment the sediment bottle is full, unlike with extract beers, with some “yeast” sitting in the bottom of the cone above the sediment bottle butterfly valve. You can deal with this one or two ways, just draw it off through the tap until the flow runs clear prior to continuing to fill the sediment bottle with foam or another way Ian has indicated to me if you are concerned about blocking the line to the draft tap is to while the sediment bottle is off and the valve closed do a short blast of CO2 into the fermentation chamber via the clarification pot to blast and sediment/yeast sitting in the bottom of the cone back into suspension prior to filling the bottle with foam. This yeast re suspended will settle in the first clarification

Cheers

Wobbly

griffin
    Participant

Thanks Wobbly!
    I am glad to see its normal. I went with the grainfather because of the ability to do large grain bills. My problem with chilling and letting it sit in machine is the grainfather has a pump that pumps wort out and into the Ww. If I let sit in grainfather do you think the pump which is located low would just pump it into ww? I bought additional sediment bottles. I may try letting wort sit for 2 hours in ww and see if I can remove most or all break. I am assuming a multiple clarification process is in my future.

wobbly
    Participant

Hi Brian

I have never seen a Grain Father and looked inside so can’t comment the pumping features. Looking at a video of a brew session it appears that at the end of the boil you pump the wort through a counter flow chiller into your fermenter. What isn’t clear to me is how do you prevent any of the trub (hot/cold break) being pumped to the fermenter as well?
    With my Braumeister I use an immersion chiller and also the unit has a tap at the bottom to allow the settled wort to be drawn off and with care leaving the hot and cold break behind. This option doesn’t appear to be a feature with the Grain Father
    Perhaps you would be better seeking an answer to “How to prevent hot and cold break being pumped to the fermenter” on one of the Grain Father forums
    There are a number of topics on some forums that state the hot break into the fermenter isn’t an issue and doesn’t effect the final beer. That may well be the case but it is/can be an issue with the small sediment bottle on the WW. You might want to consider investing in something like a Blichmann “Hop Rocket” to connect in series with you counter flow chiller as this will give you a couple of advantages if connected on the hot side (between the pump and counter flow chiller) by filtering our trub and allowing you to do “hop stand” additions for additional flavour and aroma
    Another way might be to pump your wort through the counter flow chiller into a standard plastic fermenter and then let it stand for 45/60 mins to allow the trub to settle and then carefully drain the cooled wort into the WW leaving most/all of the trub behind, A bit of mucking around I know but at least it might give you some inspiration on how to differently

Cheers

Wobbly

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.