Forums Ingredients Yeast Yeasts for ESB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tonycox
    Participant

I have a mate keen on Fullers ESB who does the whole brewing from scratch thing. We have already done a brew in the WW from scratch and it came out great. We are keen to do a comparison between the ESB in the recently released recipes and his Fullers ESB clone recipe, both done in the machine, and a couple of actual bottles of Fullers ESB.

Has anyone tried the Wyeast Fullers ESB 1968 that he is going to use against the Whitelabs WLP002 and the Yeast in the WW recipe which is Nottingham Ale Yeast to make ESB?

roger mellie
    Participant

Hi Tony

Have not used 1968 but know a few guys that like it. The caveat for using this yeast would be to pitch plenty of it (a 1L starter minimum) – from memory it doesn’t attenuate well.

I know that S-04 isn’t 1968 – (most likely 1098) – but this dry yeast just seems to suit the WW – eats anything resembling sugar, finishes fast, drops bright. I would give that a go.

Cheers

RM

tonycox
    Participant

Hi Roget

Thanks for that, will look into that option as well then.

Cheers

Tony

jerome
    Participant

I’ve made a london pride clone a few times and used 1968. I use a 1L starter and haven’t had attenuation problems. It’s a good yeast for the WW as it is fast and flocculates amazingly – sediment bottle is like a snow globe during fermentation!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.